It was just a smile of courtesy.
A smile as I walked over the waves and he was walking in the opposite direction holding her hand.
A small smile between two Indians amongst people across the globe.
A small smile between two people who were cherishing the feeling of walking over the waves.
A small smile across a fellow human to acknowledge that nature is indeed beautiful.
We crossed each other.
Who was she. She asked.
No one. He said.
Then why did she smile at you. She asked.
Just a casual smile. Nothing more than that. He said.
No one gives a casual smile. She said. And she walked away.
He searched for me all through the island. Through the cafes and the night clubs.
Hoping to find me to convince his girl that we hardly knew each other. He found a trail and he followed it.
Hotel after hotel, cafe after cafe. When he finally reached what he thought was the place I was staying in, he learnt that my vacation was over.
I started work afresh. My broken marriage did not hurt me that much anymore. The waves gave me a lot more reasons to be happy for. And I started smiling more.
One fine summer morning as I walked into my office I found a stranger standing for me there.
I finally found you. He said.
I am sorry. Do I know you. I asked.
Yes we never met at the beach but we did smile at each other that evening as I walked with my girl. He said.
Oh yes. It was a lovely evening. I said. But what brings you here and how did you find me. I asked.
She walked off that day and I ran back to find you. I asked around followed your trail until I reached the last place you stayed and they gave me your office address. He said.
I need you to convince her that you and I don't know each other. He said.
I scoffed. For she reminded me of someone I once loved.
Well. I understand. Sure I will. Should I call. I asked.
Sure. He said.
As I dialled and the phone rang on the other side, I looked at him deeply.
Hello. She said.
Hi. I am the same girl your guy smiled at the beach. I said. I have no idea who he is. And I can assure you that he has never seen me before in his life and neither have I. I said.
Oh thank god. I just wanted to be sure. It was just one of those things you know. She said.
Hmm. No I don't know. I said. But I do know this. You were walking with him on such a beautiful evening. A smile of courtesy broke your evening and you stormed off while he spent the rest of your vacation trying to find someone he doesn't even know. And has traveled miles just to get me to convince you that our smile was just a natural smile of being humans. If you still don't understand his love for you, then let me know because I will, for sure, ask him out. I said and disconnected the call.
I smiled again at his shocked face and walked away.
Unlike his suspicious girlfriend, I was someone who valued true efforts in a relationship. Unlike my cheating husband, he was someone who took efforts in a relationship.
Months later he was at my door again. This time it was not to convince anyone. But to ask me out for dinner.
A smile as I walked over the waves and he was walking in the opposite direction holding her hand.
A small smile between two Indians amongst people across the globe.
A small smile between two people who were cherishing the feeling of walking over the waves.
A small smile across a fellow human to acknowledge that nature is indeed beautiful.
We crossed each other.
Who was she. She asked.
No one. He said.
Then why did she smile at you. She asked.
Just a casual smile. Nothing more than that. He said.
No one gives a casual smile. She said. And she walked away.
He searched for me all through the island. Through the cafes and the night clubs.
Hoping to find me to convince his girl that we hardly knew each other. He found a trail and he followed it.
Hotel after hotel, cafe after cafe. When he finally reached what he thought was the place I was staying in, he learnt that my vacation was over.
I started work afresh. My broken marriage did not hurt me that much anymore. The waves gave me a lot more reasons to be happy for. And I started smiling more.
One fine summer morning as I walked into my office I found a stranger standing for me there.
I finally found you. He said.
I am sorry. Do I know you. I asked.
Yes we never met at the beach but we did smile at each other that evening as I walked with my girl. He said.
Oh yes. It was a lovely evening. I said. But what brings you here and how did you find me. I asked.
She walked off that day and I ran back to find you. I asked around followed your trail until I reached the last place you stayed and they gave me your office address. He said.
I need you to convince her that you and I don't know each other. He said.
I scoffed. For she reminded me of someone I once loved.
Well. I understand. Sure I will. Should I call. I asked.
Sure. He said.
As I dialled and the phone rang on the other side, I looked at him deeply.
Hello. She said.
Hi. I am the same girl your guy smiled at the beach. I said. I have no idea who he is. And I can assure you that he has never seen me before in his life and neither have I. I said.
Oh thank god. I just wanted to be sure. It was just one of those things you know. She said.
Hmm. No I don't know. I said. But I do know this. You were walking with him on such a beautiful evening. A smile of courtesy broke your evening and you stormed off while he spent the rest of your vacation trying to find someone he doesn't even know. And has traveled miles just to get me to convince you that our smile was just a natural smile of being humans. If you still don't understand his love for you, then let me know because I will, for sure, ask him out. I said and disconnected the call.
I smiled again at his shocked face and walked away.
Unlike his suspicious girlfriend, I was someone who valued true efforts in a relationship. Unlike my cheating husband, he was someone who took efforts in a relationship.
Months later he was at my door again. This time it was not to convince anyone. But to ask me out for dinner.
Comments
Post a Comment